Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Blogger Template From:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Remember when?


Steven is going on a youth work weekend tomorrow with his youth group. I am told cell phone service will be next to nothing, and maybe we should purchase a calling card.

HUH?

Do they even sell those anymore? Well, yes they do. The least amount I have found for a calling card is $10.00. So I got to thinking....


How about if he calls home collect? Is that an option anymore? Sure I would have to explain to him how to do it..which led Darrin and I into a most hysterical conversation.


Remember when you would go somewhere, and when you got to where you were going, someone (say your parents) would tell you "Call me collect when you get there". You would call, tell the operator you would like to place a collect call. The operator would ask your name and you would say "Anne". The person that picks up the phone call then denys the charges, because just hearing your name was good enough..and they wouldn't get charged!


Darrin reminded me that as things got a little more "sophisticated" there was no live operator, just "say your name after the beep" and then you could quickly state a whole message in one second "Hi it's me, i'm here, bye!" and again, if the charges weren't accepted, it was all good.


We had a great laugh over this, and the kids thought it was pretty funny too.

1 comments:

the Quickes! said...

I DO remember this! We did the same thing!!

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?